Saturday 11 July 2009

Titchfield haven ( part 2 )

We payed a small fee to get in the reserve but it was worth it....

Walking across the sea wall in the to the entrance of Titchfield Haven, a few Sandwich Terns and Common terns flew off the sea and headed towards the reserve. Inside, we took the path told to us by the Chap at the visitor centre. The first hide held a lot of birders when we entered, mostly the kind helpful ones with an interest in young birders, but sometimes you get the one who just sits in the corner and does not say "hi" when you enter the hide ( I hate that!! Although they just might be shy...?). I have had my grumble now, so on with the birding...

Explosion in a gull factory!! thats the basic picture, just throw some in some numbered islands, hides, Terns, Gulls and loads of waders. Avocets, both the Godwits, Lapwings, Common terns, Sandwich Terns and countless BHGs and Herring gulls, all in good numbers and some with chicks ( Avocets ).

We left the hide after goggling at the sheer amount of birds after about half an hour in the hope to get me some more Lifers. In the next Hide it was almost deserted except for one of the elderly wardens and some photographers. I got out my Spotter scope and mounted it on my ( Crap ) broken Tripod and scannned the flats, BHG, BHG, BHG, another Black headed gull..... and..... very dark hooded gull with bright red bill!. First Lifer of the day and my new fav gull the Medditerranean gull. Then a few mins after that the Green sandpiper decided to show its self from behind the bend of the water, allowing me to get some great views in my scope. A second Lifer in several minutes, not bad for me........

( EDIT: turns out I did not see a quail on the way back to the car, so what could it of been? )

3 comments:

  1. hello tj

    you didn't see a quail - they're not found in reedbeds, only open farmland.

    did it occur to you that the guy who didnt say hi might not have simply been shy, but instead might have wanted to avoid you because he found you a bit annoying?

    food for thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh sorry mate, dunno why he would find me annoying though ( do you find me annoying?:() i try not to make noise and i am friendly . sorry also about the mistake on the quail, i am still learning, but what could it of been then? it wasnt a Pheasant because i got a good look at it.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also not to be horrible but this comment sounds a little bit rude to me, so please ( to future visitors) do not comment if you have bad things to say...

    also please include a name even if its only a nickname or your own made up one so i know its not to take a swipe at me

    cheers TJ

    ReplyDelete