Tuesday 25 August 2009

Catching up with that Bogey bird

























Nearly every birder has his bogey bird, a bird no matter if its common or rare, you just keep dipping it. Its rather frustrating when week after week it is reported, then you go looking for it to no avail. Well this week I managed ( finally!! ) to tick off one of my biggest bogey birds...
The weather was not exactly great for seawatching but I wanted to give it a try at Portland anyway, as we could explore the island for more of the day because Dad was in Lulworth, and I did not have my Tennis training in the afternoon...

Well seawatching went awfully with the only birds seen being Cormorants, which was evidently my fault as I should of checked the weather forcast before attempting it. Birding on land was better with lots of wheatears, Rock pipits, Meadow pipits, Starlings, a Kestrel and a Peregrine were scattered around. On the way to the Obs I had a bit off fun trying to take pics of the passerines around the rocks, Most of the shots I got were awful though ( taking pics of birds is so hard!!).

At the Obs I asked the wardens if anything had been seen "Not much around" was the answer, "It is rather hit and miss on Portland isnt it" I replied. "Yes it is, but the Little owl is showing well at the quarry at the the moment" he said (!). Well of we went to the quarry as fast as the weight of the tripod and scope on my shoulder would let us. We were tailing some birders in front of us because they knew the exact spot of where it perched and they were evidently going to look for it. When we arrived the beckoned us over and showed us the exact crack the Little owl was perched in. So I setted up my scope and focused it on where it was perched: "what a beautiful bird"!! I said and immediately lowered the tripod ( being 6ft 1 has it disadvantages! ) so my Auntie could get a look at its lovely brown plumage, vivid yellow eyes and hooked bill....

Well finally I managed to tick off my biggest bogey bird which had so far eluded me over my six years off birding, im really pleased, so yets see what I can tick off before the big move. :)



















































No comments:

Post a Comment